Start at the intersection of View and Victoria Streets, and Queens Park Road
The walk ends at Tamarama Beach
Distances and Times
The total length of the walk (Charing Cross to Tamarama Beach) about 3km; allow 1 hour 15 minutes walking time.
- From Bondi Junction train station and bus depot the Walk’s start point at View Street is about 1.3km; allow about 16 minutes walking time.
- View Street to Bronte House: about 1.6km; allow 45 minutes walking time.
- Bronte Park to Bronte Ocean Pool: about 600m; allow 15 minutes walking time.
- Bronte Promenade to Tamarama Beach: 800m; allow 15 minutes walking time.
- The walk can also be completed in reverse, from Tamarama to Charing Cross – please note that this direction is uphill.
The buildings in the Charing Cross Heritage Conservation Area commercial streetscape offer protection under awnings before the walk becomes more exposed to the elements in the streets containing heritage houses. Parks along the way offer some shade and shelter. In summer, don’t forget your hat, sunscreen and water.
It is uphill from the walk’s start point to Bronte Road, but not steep. Footpaths through Charing Cross are flat. The paths from Leichhardt St to Bronte Beach are a mix of flat and downhill, reasonably steep in some places. Bronte’s promenade, park and beach are fully accessible for wheelchairs and prams. The Bronte Gully near Bronte House is accessible by continuing downhill to the Bronte Park entrance gates on Bronte Road. There are steep stairs up from Bronte Promenade to the Coastal Path. The path to Tamarama Beach is undulating.